Sunday, December 19, 2010

Chef Karl and Pigs in a Blanket!

I have my foot in a cast since Monday and for a month more! I have Tarsal Tunnel in my right foot and having a cast and crutches is a learning experience like none other....
A few things I have learned.
I am clumsy!
Using crutches while two sheepdogs circle around me is dangerous (yes, I know I have a sheepdog and a little cockapoo but you try telling her she is not a sheepdog.)
I have a great husband who reminds me to be positive.
I have a great partner and co workers and they have kept our salon running during Christmas and have taken care of  my clients holiday hair needs without missing a beat.
I can enjoy the holiday season without shopping and taking advantage of all the bargains. ( I am a shopaholic and this may have cured me)
I love Christmas movies and Specials ( I have never had time to watch them in the past because I was too busy shopping and working to make money to shop)
I can knit a beautiful sweater when I am forced to sit on my butt! (pictures to follow)
I need practice at not being in control and a month in a cast should do it.
My husband Karl is really a good chef and will try anything in a brick oven because for him that is the way to cook!
So here is how  Karl made  "Pigs in the Blanketand they are done in our brick oven.
The Recipe
2 small or 1 large cabbage
11/2 lbs ground beef
1/2 lbs ground pork
1 cup of cooked rice 
2 eggs
1 onion diced
can of tomatoes ( we used our home canned tomatoes)
4 slices bacon
salt pepper and allspice
First boil water and Blanche the cabbage to soften the leaves. Removing the outer leaves as they soften.
mix together ground beef, ground pork, eggs, onion, rice and salt, pepper and allspice.


roll ground beef mixture up in the cabbage leaves. Layer in a oven safe pot ( we used a ceramic dutch oven) starting with tomatoes then "piggies" ending with Tomatoes. Top with 4 slices of uncooked bacon.
The oven: Bring brick oven to white hot  and let cool down to 400*. Place pot in oven, we did not use a door but kept a small fire going to keep oven temperature around 400*.  Karl turned the pot every 1/2 hour and he timed them for 2 hours.


They came out delicious with a slight smokey flavor. Karl has proven himself to be a great wood fired oven chef. This means I get a break from cooking! ( at least while the cast is on)
 Before putting in the oven 

 baking with a small fire

Perfect!
MMMMmm!
My sweater all done!



No comments:

Post a Comment