Thursday, May 5, 2011

Wood Fired Brick Oven and Burgers

When Karl asked if I wanted to try burgers in our Roundboy Oven my first thought was there goes the last thing left to use our Weber Grill for. We tried out burgers in the brick oven tonight! I think I will keep my grill for now. The burgers cooked too fast and came out very dry. I would like to try again in the future. The oven needs to cool down next time and fewer hot coals under the grate would be better. It was a great learning experience and I could have not written a post about it, but it is important to share our actual outcome with the oven and everything we make.

I am not sure if it was just one of those days when everything you touch turns to ..... But all was not lost!

I also made Andrea Mugnaini's Tuscan-Style Rustic Apple Cake. She says in her book that the high, moist heat of the wood fired brick oven is ideal for the caramelization of the sugars in the fruit. I must say she is right! I have made her Cherry Clafouti and now the Apple Cake and both were easy and delicious.
I am a big dessert fan and it was ok in the end that we had dessert for dinner! I guess when life gives you lemons (or apples), make dessert.


 Karl let the flames burn down to coals and the oven cooled to around 400*


  We turned the cake after 10 minutes and it was done in 20 minutes.


 I sprinkled powder sugar over the top.


Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment